BayernLB aspires to make a significant contribution to developing a sustainable society, in particular in relation to real estate. Investments aimed at boosting energy efficiency or in the use of renewable energy sources are essential if the fight against climate change is to be effective. These investments have a positive effect on the long-term value of a property, for example in the form of lower operating costs.
Various certification systems - such as the German Sustainable Building Certification awarded by the German Sustainable Building Council (Deutsche Gesellschaft für Nachhaltiges Bauen e.V. - DGNB) and the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) awarded by the US Green Building Council - have been successfully established to measure and document the sustainability of properties. Tenants and buyers alike will increasingly look for properties with these certificates in the future in the interests of ensuring their competitiveness. In this light, the Bank regards sustainable real estate as a key growth market and will continue to step up its exposure to this growing market segment. Customers and business partners are able to draw on experience from various - also (pre-)certified - projects.
BayernLB recognises the advantage in value terms brought by such certifications in competitive markets and is increasingly supporting its customers in building sustainability projects. The Bank is extremely well-equipped to do so, thanks to its broad product range:
- As an example, Bayern Facility Management GmbH, can draw on its many years of experience in building management to assist customers through the German Sustainable Building Council certification process with a qualified auditor. BayernFM's many years of experience in facility management range from its inventory of around 2.1 million m 2 of floor space to implementing step-by-step projects to make large building complexes climate neutral.
- LB Immobilienbewertungsgesellschaft mbH documents value and risk-relevant aspects of sustainability issues in its expert reports, in order to enable BayernLB to offer its customers preferential terms for properties that can be shown to be planned and managed in sustainable fashion, in the form of higher collateral values and hence cheaper funding costs. LBImmoWert affirms the added value of certification, whenever it can be demonstrated that lower facility management costs, higher annual net income, longer residual useful life and improved interest rates are generated.
- BayernLB passes the lower funding costs for financing properties that meet the required sustainability criteria on to customers. It also offers particularly attractive terms from a special quota and is able to assist customers along the entire value chain - from realisation to letting and selling and also facility management - thanks to its network and the strength in its association.
However, these favourable financing terms are dependent on providing certain types of verification and agreements which are included in the loan agreements. The verification includes in particular relevant certificates with
- qualified energy certification
- a complete profitability calculation and
- the obligation to project all the key figures over the term of the loan.
BayernLB regards sustainability as permanent investment to ensure competitiveness in the long-term. Being issued a certificate once is not enough to prove quality: The quality achieved must be shown to be maintained. The economically-relevant criteria must be projected in forecast and current calculations, defects which occur must be rectified and the ability to invest must be ensured by transparently calculated and established provisions.